Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Raining Acorns


Is there something happening that I'm not aware of? I've heard that when acorns drop early it means we're going to have a hard winter. Oh boy, are we ever in for it if that's the case! I was just outside dumping scraps into my compost pile. I realized that all around me I could hear subtle dropping, hundreds of them, on the leaves and ground all around me. It was amazing. I thought perhaps it was a squirrel or two having fun way up there in the high limbs but, no, that wasn't the case. It was happening all around me from several trees. My backyard is littered with acorns and acorn pieces. It's interesting and perplexing all at once!

Check out the Farmer's Almanac article "Can Acorns Predict a Rough Winter?" for some more lore or truth in what nature does in preparation for what it's planning to do later on.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Very interesting! Last year when we camped at Hopeville there was a squirrel that kept dropping the acorns on us. One hit me on the head and that hurt!

I see you're reading Nineteen Minutes! That was a good book. I reviewed it on my blog last year. When you finish, if you want to see what I thought, I could send you the link. Just let me know. :D

Miss ya!

ROXY said...

Oh No Lady Blogger!! What does happen to Teva's when they are put into the dryer?? Something not good I take it:{ Boy, you were productive this weekend as well!! I hope you had a good day today!! I can't wait until Saturday:)

ROXY said...

That's very interesting about acorns, I haven't noticed that in our yard....but I have noticed that the leaves are already changing colors!!!

Lady Blogger said...

You beat me to my post! :) I actually wasn't sure what I was going to blog about today until I put that comment about my Tevas in your latest post.

We're looking forward to Saturday too. Can you make your famous dip? Pete and I absolutely love it!!