Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pop's Apple Pie



Ever since my Meme passed in 2001, I have refused to eat apple pie. My Meme's apple pie was the best I have ever eaten and I know there can be no replacement.

The other day I decided that I'm going to go home to see my parents this Friday. I offered to cook lunch for them (my very special beef stroganoff recipe) and make a dessert. I listed all the different pies I could make for my father and he, of course, choose apple.

I decided to use my Meme's cookbook, "The Good Housekeeping Cookbook" published in MCMLXXIII (that's 1973). I have had the best of luck with this cookbook, including my very favorite banana bread recipe and a killer chocolate chip cookie recipe.  The recipe in the cookbook for apple pie was very simple (after, of course, peeling and coring the apples!).  I was so very pleased with how the pie came out! After tasting some of the sauce that leaked out while baking, I immediately called my father to tell him how close this pie tasted to my Meme's pies. The top crust is lumpy and he said that that was how Meme's pies were. I'm so excited to bring it to him tomorrow and have him try it! My Meme was definitely with me as I made this pie and I made sure to thank her for the help when it was done.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I hope you all enjoy the pie. Of course, your Meme is always with you! ((HUGS))

Now, stop making me hungry! :P

Lady Blogger said...

It was good! :) Pop had two very large pieces along with the vanilla ice cream I made yesterday. I'm finding that I really enjoy cooking! :) Have a wonderful weekend my love!

ROXY said...

Yummm!! That looks soooo good!! I really need to try to get that cookbook off of ebay or amazon.