Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wet Basement

We have had so much rain!  3.5 inches Monday night along with a pretty nasty thunderstorm. A few days prior to that we had 2.5 inches of rain. The ground is saturated. I guess that's why it decided to come into our basement. Yep, quite a bit of it to be exact. You see, we had a small crack in one of our basement windows. It was one of those things we kept meaning to get to but never did. Well, now we have to! The water was rushing around the side of the house so much so that it filled up our window well and broke the glass. The hole was big enough that my cat could fit through it (she didn't though, thank goodness!). There were leaves, wood chips, and yuck all over the place down there. We had some carpets that are ruined, magazines, some of my college stuff, our fax machine, computer parts -- all ruined. Oh well. Part of our basement is finished (i.e. recliners, computers, carpeting, Sheetrock, etc.). The water intruded a little bit into there but just the carpeting by the door to the "basement" part. We've got fans running and the lights are on. Hopefully it will dry up soon. I just don't want the nice carpeting in our rec room to get moldy. This weekend we've got to figure out what we're going to do with the window: we've discussed Plexiglas and even concreting it in. We'll go to Home Depot and Lowe's to see what our options are. Lessons learned: when there's a small problem, fix it. Also, don't leave stuff on your basement floor.

7 comments:

ROXY said...

Oh boy, how's it coming along today? Has it dried much?

Lady Blogger said...

Yeah, it's drying some. We just went to Wal-Mart to pick up another fan. It's starting to smell yucky down there. :(

Anna said...

Oh, no! Always something else to worry about :(

Lady Blogger said...

Things could always be worse though! :)

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your basement! Our basement flooded last year, so I know the feeling. Mark and I had never gotten around to putting in a sump pump, and the water came in from the sump pump hole and soaked the entire floor, which was carpeted! Like you, we have learned a valuable lesson! Anyway, as you said, things could be worse. That's a good perspective to have!

Lady Blogger said...

Hi Heather. Oooh, and your basement is really nice too! Sorry to hear that!

How's your classroom coming? Are you done? I just finished today and won't be going back until Monday for "the meeting."

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm pretty much done! I might go in for part of Friday, but if I don't, it's no big deal.
I can't believe it's already the end of summer, and time for "the meeting!" :-( I am looking forward to my new class, but at the same time, I wish summer could last a bit longer!!