Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lancaster County Wet-Bottom Shoofly Pies

Tomorrow all of the teachers from my school are getting together for a gathering at a fellow teacher's summer home. For my part, I am bringing fresh whipped cream to top off the two Lancaster County Wet-Bottom Shoofly Pies that I made tonight. These pies are absolutely delicious, easy to make, and taste much better the day after baking (hence the reason for me to make them today for tomorrow!). The recipe comes from "The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook," pages 144-145.

The picture below is the egg, dark corn syrup, and boiling water mixture. It will then be mixed slowly into the flour and brown sugar (2nd and 3rd pictures). This creates the base of the pie.


These unbaked pies have been topped with a reserved flour/brown sugar crumb topping. Into the oven they go!
Done to perfection! My entire house smells quite heavenly!

8 comments:

ROXY said...

Oh my gosh!!! HOW did you do ALL of that today?? You are super lady blogger:) Those pies are soooo good. She'll be glad you didn't bring cold cute;)

Lady Blogger said...

I know. I'm glad I didn't bring cold cuts either. You know how I am with meat too -- ham is sure tasty but after all that I know about how those pigs are treated.... My shoofly pies are much better! :)

Pete wants some shoofly pie now. The recipe makes two. You and Dave up for a pie this week?

Anna said...

Send some pie my way, my love! Those look sooooo good! And I bet they tasted even better!

I have to buy that cookbook. I took it out of the library ages ago to check it out and made the baked corn. It was yummy.

ROXY said...

We are always up for Shoofly Pies!!!

LadyLinoleum said...

They sound amazing!! I love pie...

Lady Blogger said...

Anna, I wish I could send a pie to you! In all honesty, I actually thought about it but knew it would never survive the trip!

Anna said...

Well, next time I come your way, you'll have to make some! ;)

Lady Blogger said...

You bet! :)