Sunday, August 3, 2008

Crocheted Skirt and Shawl



My crocheted outfit is just about complete! I finished crocheting the skirt this morning. The only things left to do are to sew in an elastic band, find (or have mom sew) some sort of fancy, shimmery tank, find a pair of shoes, and make my necklace and earrings (from the same beads I used on the shawl). I decided earlier in the summer to make my own outfit for a very fancy/formal wedding Pete and I have been invited to this October in Newport, RI. We still have to buy Pete a suit and, as you probably already guessed, it's going to cost between $150 and $300. He needs a suit jacket, matching pair of pants, tie, and shoes. Hopefully he can wear one of his dress shirts from work. I wanted to make my outfit for two reasons: 1. Just to say I did it and 2. To save money (which I did!).

Specifics

Shawl:
  • The shawl is made from 6 skeins of Paton's Brilliant (Gold Glow), 1.75 oz.
  • The pattern is a simple shell which was found on-line at: Anastacia Knits
  • Once finished with the shell pattern, I added my own edging and attached 3 small beads to each edge "tip"
  • The shawl measures 66" across the top (horizontal) and 33" from top to bottom (vertical)
  • An "L" crochet hook was used

Skirt:
  • The skirt is made from 4 skeins of Caron Simply Soft (Black 9727), 7 oz. and 2 skeins of Bernat Satin (Sable), 3.5 oz.
  • The pattern comes from "Crochet! Magazine" July 2008. The pattern is the skirt portion of the "Sophisticated Shells Skirt & Wrap" pattern
  • The skirt measures 33" from waist to bottom (skirt will be approximately 1"shorter once top band is folded over and the elastic is sewn in). The waist measures 17.5" (folded flat) and the bottom of the skirt measures 35.5" (folded flat).
  • An "I" crochet hook was used

10 comments:

ROXY said...

Oh Saradee! It's beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person! Gosh, your fingers must be sore from all that crocheting. I can't believe you finished it that quickly!!

I am off the the grocery store. I will call you later today:)

Lady Blogger said...

Thanks Roxy! I'm itching to start something new! Perhaps tonight I'll start my Christmas project for Pete's mom. :)

Anna said...

Wow!! The skirt and shawl are gorgeous! You did a wonderful job! I hope you post a pic of the earrings and then the two of you together wearing your spiffy outfits!

Lady Blogger said...

I certainly will publish pics of the finished outfit. I actually just stopped by Michael's and bought the stuff I need to make the necklace and earrings. I also bought some yarn for someone who's expecting in October......

Unknown said...

Wow, the outfit looks amazing! I didn't think you would already be finished making the skirt!

Lady Blogger said...

H.R. is that you? Yes, I finished the skirt! I started it the day after you and I met for lunch at Panera. My fingers have been pretty busy! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, it's me! :-)
Wow, I thought it would take you a couple of months to crochet the skirt. You've definitely been busy! It looks great.

Lady Blogger said...

Thanks Heather! :) I've gotta get this stuff done while I still have time. After this weekend, it's back to school for me! Have you been in your room yet?

Unknown said...

Yes, I just started going back to school this week myself! I only went in a couple of times. I figured I would ease back in, to reduce the depression of going back to work! ;-)

Oh, I saw Alison G. at school yesterday. She is teaching summer school, and she was telling me about her summer school students. JC is in her reading group (the student that might be retained in your class.) Alison said she is doing pretty well in reading, so that's a positive thing!

Lady Blogger said...

Good luck with your back to school stuff! We'll keep in touch! :)