Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On the Edge of School

On my drive home today, after a long and taxing day at work, I pondered what else I could do with my life instead of teach. I get these moments; moments when the profession I have chosen looks less than golden. A profession that I love but doesn't always love me back.

It was on my drive home that I began to think: what can I do with a B.A. in Child Study and an M.A. in Elementary Reading & Language Arts? Gosh, aside from teaching, nothing much really. So, I began to think about writing a book (gasp!) about teaching, our educational system, and/or a day in the life of a teacher. None of these strike me as compelling subjects but, they could be. I am not a writer, nor do I profess to be one. I am, however, a teacher in an educational system that is on the edge. 

Could this ever come to pass? Who knows. Is this a fleeting thought of a tired and stressed mind? Perhaps. Will I think like this tomorrow? Maybe. Next week? Could be. I am toying with this; a seed that may sprout like a weed or like an oak tree or like my tomato plant (going great one second, then, blah, brown limbs). We shall see....

Step one: think, ponder, think
Step two: index cards (learned this one from Anna)
Step three: graphic organizer
Step four: begin writing.....

Any thoughts dear friends?

6 comments:

Serena said...

I say go for it. I think the education system needs more day in the life examinations to see how the policies of the federal and state governments actually impact the educators and their ability to teach the students within the system.

Anna said...

I think it sounds like a great idea, but only if it's something you want to do. You have to do what makes you happy, and if writing a book would make you happy, you know my love that I will support you 110 percent!! You know how to reach me if you want any help! :)

And you are good at what you do. You are very knowledgeable about the teaching profession and the state of education today, and I'm sure you have a lot of important things to say.

Lady Blogger said...

Hi gals! I've really been thinking about this and would love to attempt it. I think I've got to do a little bit more thinking and then start jotting some ideas down. I don't know the first thing about writing a book but I'll look to the two of you for inspiration and small bit of guidance! If I still feel this way next week I think we're on to something! :)

Lady Blogger said...

P.S. Yes, I fixed the typos. I was shot yesterday! :)

Anonymous said...

I also teach 3rd grade and I often drive home after a terrible long day, thinking about what other career I might want/be good at and honestly I don't think there's anything else!

You should definitely try writing. That would be an amazing job and great hours! :o)

ROXY said...

I think it would be a great idea!! It probably would be quite cathartic also. Not to mention, I just reading just about anything you write:) You certainly are good at drawing in the reader:) You are the type of person who can achieve anything that you put your heart into, and if this is something you're passionate about trying, I say "You Go Girl!!" One of the traits I've always admired about you is you are extremely determined:) Call me so we discuss Sushi for 2 for 4:)