Friday, September 19, 2008

Crochet Club

I am so excited! Wednesday, October 1st will be our first club meeting.  Yes, that's right, we're starting a Crochet Club at school for all interested 4th graders. The "invitations" went home yesterday. I've already talked to a few of my students from last year and they said that they've signed up. I'm going to be one of the instructors along with two other teachers. We've set our limit to 20 participants as we're going to be teaching them how to crochet and we'll need some small groups for that.

Our club is going to be held every other Wednesday right after school for an hour. We're going to be meeting six times before Christmas vacation and we're hoping that some of the kids will be able to actually be knitting some "elementary" things by then (pardon the pun!).  The 3 of us are also hoping that come the spring, everyone will be good enough to perhaps make a granny square or two so that they all can be sewn together into an afghan. We'd love to be able to raffle something like that off at our whole school Harambe come May (that's our spring concert -- our music teacher is 23 years old and full of energy! Harambe means "come together" in Swahli).

For our first meeting, the three of us decided that we're going to show our students the crochet hooks, have them hold them in a manner that is comfortable for them, and show them all different sorts of yarns. I think too that perhaps we'll sit and do a few basic stitches just so they can see some crocheting in action. The second meeting will be all about them, their hook, and figuring out how to get the yarn to stay on the hook!  :)  

I've also been able to get $100 donated to our club from the PTO. We're going to use that to buy yarn and hooks for those children whose parents aren't able to. I think we're ready to go!  Stay tuned for a post after our first meeting! 

8 comments:

ROXY said...

That's so exciting!!! I can't wait until your club begins. I want to hear all about it:)

Anna said...

What a great idea!

Let me know if you'd like me to donate some yarn. I had some yarn given to me that wasn't appropriate for the charity projects I was doing, but I think it would be good for teaching crochet. I could bring a big box with me when I come to visit my sis after the baby is born. Just let me know!

And I saw that you're reading "The Tale of Desperaux" with your class. The Girl got that book free from B&N's summer reading program, and we read it together in two days. Great book!

Lady Blogger said...

Thanks Anna~ I would love the yarn! :)

DiCamillo's "The Tale of Despereaux" is one of my favorites. It's coming out in movie form later this year and I wanted to read it to my class before the movie spoils it for them. If The Girl enjoyed the book, I also recommend "Because of Winn-Dixie" also by Kate DiCamillo. I'm going to read that one later on as right now I'm reading "Ginger Pye" by Eleanor Estes.

ROXY said...

Don't be sad Lady Blogger. We will have a great birthday dinner!! Remember, it's sushi for four. Now, does it get better than that:) Happy chopping:)

ROXY said...

Oh I didn't know that your grandparents house was robbed. For some reason I thought it was your parents house. You certainly did inherit a love and skill of cooking:) We all appreciate that gift:)

Anna said...

We had no idea the book was going to be a movie until we saw the bookmark that came in the book advertising the film. We're going to make a mommy-daughter day out of it. I'd love for her to read Winn Dixie, but we saw the movie before we'd even known it was a book (my bad...I'm not up on all my children's books, though I've been asked by a couple publishers to review some and those reviews will be coming soon!).

I'll see how much yarn I have, and if it's something that won't cost a fortune to mail, then I'll mail it. Otherwise I'll bring it with me when we visit! It'll give me a good excuse to see you! :D

Lady Blogger said...

Hi Anna. :) Thanks for the birthday wishes! I certainly don't feel 31!!

I've got oodles and oodles of titles for you and The Girl to read if you so desire. A good list for her age, however, is the Newbery Award and Honors list. I try to read only Newbery books to my class for read-alouds. It's all fabulous stuff!!

Anna said...

We tend to go for the medal winners, and they're usually very good!

We've got a few children's books coming to me to review, and she's going to help me with that.

If I need any suggestions, I know who to ask!

Hope you had a great birthday!