Sunday, October 19, 2008

Newport, RI Wedding

The long awaited day has finally come!  Pete and I were invited to a very formal wedding in Newport, RI on October 17th for one of Pete's co-workers. As the wedding was a Friday night wedding (5:30 ceremony), I knew we had to dress the part. Starting in June, I crocheted myself a shawl and long skirt for the occasion. Since I could not find a matching top (the black yarn I used in the skirt was an odd colored black), my mom and I went to Joann Fabrics and bought the fabric for my top. My mom then sewed my top for me. I then made a pair of earrings from the same beads as on my shawl.  Everything was handmade except for my shoes and purse! :)  We got Pete's Ralph Lauren suit at Macy's in September.  He wanted a nice suit complete with a vest. It was not easy to find and we ended up paying a little more than we wanted but, did he look dapper!!

This first shot is of the ceremony site in Newport. The ceremony and reception were held at Belle Mer on Goat Island.
Just as the sun was beginning to set over the water.... The ceremony began a few minutes after 5:30.
Enzo and Katie right after the ceremony.  (Pete works with Enzo.)

Inside of Belle Mer during the reception. There were about 250 people at this VERY Italian wedding. We figure it was around $200 per person. It was quite the place!
Here we are with the famed Newport Bridge behind us. (I always blink during pictures.....)

Our table.
Outside during the reception. I was getting tired of sitting and needed to stretch my legs. There was A LOT of dancing going on but, since this was an Italian wedding, they were dancing to songs I've never heard in ways I've never seen. Pete and I just stayed at the table and watched. There was dancing in between the courses of the meal. It was amazing!
Overall, we had a very good night. We left around 10:30 and drove back to my parents' house. Most people were staying in Newport but Enzo had told Pete a few weeks earlier that the hotels were around $400 a night. We opted for the cheaper route: a commute back to my parents' house and a good night sleep in my hometown!


Sounds from the Wedding (We were outside)

6 comments:

Serena said...

what a gorgeous location and wedding dress. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

ROXY said...

OMG!! What a beautiful setting for a wedding. I love the photo of you and Pete in with the bridge in the background. You and your outfit looked fabulous!! It really came out great. Oh and tell Pete he looked nice too:) Hope your having a great day. I will call you later to discuss Prop 1!

Lady Blogger said...

Serena~ Yes, we had a lot of fun. The best though was people watching! :)

Roxy~ Thanks! We had a good time. What is Prop 1?

Anna said...

You looked beautiful, my dear! I love the outfit!! You and your mom did a wonderful job! And you're right, Pete did look mighty dapper.

What a beautiful (and expensive) wedding!

Lady Blogger said...

Yeah, it certainly was expensive! It was fun though. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, that must have been quite the wedding!! I still can't believe that it's the same wedding my brother-in-law and his wife were at. Small world!

Oh dear, I heard about the lawn mower accident in Torrington. I can't believe it was the brother of one of your students. They are in my thoughts!