Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Crochet Club: Meeting #1

          [crochet+hook.jpg]
After weeks of planning and days of gathering materials, we held our first ever Crochet Club.  We have 18 fourth graders signed up. It was wonderful! They were so attentive and watched intently as the three of us crocheted in front of them. It was remarkable! We showed them all different kinds of hooks, yarns, and an array of books and magazines. Tomorrow I am going to order 20 sets of hooks on-line so that each club member has 3 different sizes.

I am excited to say that we have a boy in our club! Because of him, I brought in my camouflage yarn. He was so excited to see it and immediately said he wanted to crochet himself a camouflage hat. It was great!

Because of a ton of teacher commitments (i.e. meetings), our next Crochet Club meeting will be on Wednesday, October 22nd. By then I'll have all of the materials I ordered and we can begin them with the holding of the hooks and how to attach the yarn. I can't wait!  Our third meeting will be October 29th. We've got a total of six meetings before the Christmas break. We're hopeful that by then the club members will be good enough to do some crocheting on their own. We're planning on holding our meeting through the month of May.

Stay tuned for another Crochet Club update (meeting #2) toward the end of the month!


3 comments:

ROXY said...

I am so psyched that you have a little boy in your crochet club. I was hoping you'd report that a boy joined but I wasn't going to count on it.

Lady Blogger said...

Yeah, it is cool. He wants to make himself a camo hat!

Diane said...

I loved reading your blog about the Crochet Club you have with your 3rd graders! I, too, teach 3rd grade & recently completed my first ever Crochet Club of 6 weeks with nine of my students after school. Please tell me more of ways to teach crochet more effectively to eight year olds for I don't feel very successful. However, I sincerely believe crocheting is a creative way for my students to participate in making a contribution to their local community.