Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Composting



Today is one of those "get all the little things done" day.  I've been meaning to clean out my fridge for some time now.  Much of which I throw out is either composted, put out for the animals, or recycled.  Pete and I create very little trash.

Composting: I have a cookie jar on the kitchen counter for our compost pile. We put all of our organic waste in there: coffee grinds and unbleached filters, banana peels, vegetable cuttings, egg shells, etc.  When the jar is full, its contents are added to our outdoor compost pile (which also contains grass clippings).  Once in a while, we need to churn up the pile with a hoe or metal rake.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I've always wanted to compost, but I don't think our leasing office would be too keen on it. I've been trying to get them to start a recycling program for awhile now. We've called some recycling companies but they say that our entire community has to sign up. UGH

Lady Blogger said...

Really? That's a shame. Who does your garbage pickup? Can't they place some receptacles in a convenient spot?

Anna said...

We actually called the people that pick up our garbage and we called the county. I think our county is one of the only ones left in the state that hasn't made recycling mandatory. It really stinks when they're teaching my kid all these eco-friendly tips and then I have to explain to her why we're not recycling. So we're just trying to reduce waste the best we can. It's really frustrating.

Lady Blogger said...

That does stink. Maybe once The Girl gets settled into her new school/classroom, she can talk to her teacher about a recycling initiative at her school. If they were to set something up, she could bring in recyclables from home.

Anna said...

That's an idea. I also plan to send another letter to the leasing office, just to pester them.

Lady Blogger said...

Or, if you really want to make some noise, appeal to your local newspaper or write a letter to the editor. In this day in age there's no excuse for not having the proper recycling measures in place. Let me know what comes of it.